Friday, July 29, 2016

Once a Cottage Now a Castle


Nineteen years ago I had my first glimpse of a more than unique Colorado attraction. One reason it's different is because it's very inexpensive. The owners just ask for a donation. I remember thinking, "What the heck is this place?" My family played around and marveled at the architecture and mountain views and left.
July 1997 
But it took a few years and a little research to discover the story behind this amazing castle in the mountains. Fifteen year old Jim Bishop saved money from delivering newspapers and mowing lawns to purchase a couple of acres near San Isabel National Forest. Jim also worked at his father's Pueblo business, Bishop Ornamental Iron Shop.
My sons on the third level in 1997

This castle began as a one room cottage for Jim and his wife. He started building in 1969 and is still working on it.
We made it.
You will find a scenic drive on the short trek from Pueblo, Colorado via I-25 to 165. I'm glad I got to go back in 2010 with my sister, brother, brother-in-law and sons.
View from the road.
Jim encountered more than a few set backs in his venture. As word got about his building, the government looked into the fact he used rocks from the nearby national forest. They tried to charge him for the rocks.
My brother on the third floor.

Jim also lost a son on the property when a tree they were trying to remove fell on him. He was quoted as saying he kept working through his tears.
View from the third floor.
He also got smacked in the face when the Colorado State tourism department refused to include his castle in their brochures. Luckily, over time that changed. It's not surprising, though that Jim Bishop has some different views about the government and isn't shy about expressing them. If you go when he's around, don't be surprised if you receive an earful.
Sign at the castle
 Even though Jim likes to express his views, it's worth a trip to see something so unique. And I'm not the only one who thinks Bishop's Castle is one of a kind. Last year a rare form of cancer struck Jim Bishop and he signed over the deed to the castle to a friend or a con artist depending on who's telling the story. This guy started making plans to add security to the castle and change a lot more than just the name. Never fear, the Bishops were able to get back their castle and Jim is doing better.
Some people are brave enough to get on the metal bridge. I'm not one of them.
So if you are looking for something out of the ordinary to do in Colorado. I'd definitely recommend taking some time to marvel at Bishop's Castle.
My brother chatting with Jim Bishop.
Thanks for reading this. I hope I was able to do the castle justice.

Resources:.http://www.westword.com/news/renowned-roadside-attraction-bishop-castle-under-siege-in-southern-colorado-7090379

http://www.koaa.com/story/28895416/bishop-castle-gets-a-new-owner

No comments:

Post a Comment