Sunday, April 2, 2017

Making Pueblo Green Chile in Missouri

It is possible to make the famous Pueblo Green Chile in other states. Today I decided to do just that. Those in Pueblo have the luxury of taking a trip to the county and purchasing chiles straight from the growers and getting them roasted on the spot. I had roasted some up over the summer in my oven and saved them in the freezer. Today I felt like one smart cookie as I dug them out of the depths of my freezer. I set them out to thaw as I went to the store for some ingredients.

Here's my steps to making a taste of my hometown.

I start by making a roux with oil and flour. Then I put it in a bowl to use later.

Then I brown some cubed pork loin. And put it in a pot with chicken broth.

I know you are thinking this takes some time to make. And it does. But the end is worth it.
Next I browned onions and garlic. Does garlic caramelize faster than onions for you? I think it does for me.
 Then I added the garlic and onions to the pork and chicken broth. This is when it starts going quicker. Add hot Rotel, stewed tomatoes, chopped chiles and jalapeno. And don't forget the roux.

Bring it to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes. I like to cook it a little longer to make sure the pork is done. Now it's time for the best part. While the chile is cooking, I fry up some hamburgers.  When everything is done this is what I get to eat.
Yummy Slopper
This is my version of the Pueblo Slopper. A hamburger smothered with Pueblo Green Chile and topped with shredded cheddar and chopped onions. It's a delicious treat. I'd rather chow down on this at Coors Tavern and wash it down with a beer. But since I'm in Missouri, this is what I get. 

What's one of your favorite hometown foods? 

No comments:

Post a Comment