Thursday, April 30, 2015

What's up with Pueblo?

 I have just returned from a quick spring trip to Pueblo. And as I fell asleep last night I considered that maybe I have some kind of idealized version of Pueblo in my mind and when I'm home that's all I accept. This blog is my way of reconciling myself to Pueblo, Colorado's reality.
Just a portion of Jackson Park
A good source of information is my brother. He lives near Jackson Park and knows just about everyone who walks down the sidewalk. I have to admit my ignorance in his presence. I saw a man walking around the park with his dog unleashed. David, my brother, knows exactly who it is. This man lives down on Union Street and comes to the park and picks up trash. I saw him do it.

Now Pueblo has some nice parks and big parks. Jackson park is small, but people leave trash. I find this odd. The parks department provides receptacles for trash; so why won't people use them? I have no logical answer. My Grandma and Mom were big anti litterers! I grew up with the famous commercial that ended with the Native American shedding a tear over the trash. I don't understand leaving trash behind for others to see. It ruins a great park.
Me and my brother's dog behind the Jackson Park sign
My family has spent some fun time playing croquet in Jackson Park. I didn't see any litter then, but well, I was there to have some fun. That's why the city spends money on the parks; they want people to enjoy them. Kids and adults can't enjoy them if they are messy. The parks department can't mow them if they are messy. And it's helpful in croquet to have the grass mowed.

There are also lots of people walking along the sidewalks with backpacks. My naivety surfaced once again. Why are these people carrying backpacks? They don't look like they are on the way to school, especially since it's during school hours. I'm pretty sure my brother told me a couple of them live by the river. Well thanks, that tells me a lot. Now I picture a hobo camp set up by the river. NO WAY! I think to myself. I'm pretty sure he told me later, that they have a real place to stay, but the image remained. Are there homeless in Pueblo? Do they have camps under bridges? I grew up in a nurturing family in Pueblo. I can't imagine being there without a home. Sadly, it may be the case according to a Pueblo Chieftain article from January 2014. You can find it here. http://www.chieftain.com/news/breaking/2168858-120/marijuana-chieftain-homeless-mertz

In all truthfulness there are no marijuana distributors in the city limits of Pueblo. A person would have to go to the county to buy weed, just like I've been to the county to buy fresh produce. Gee, I'm bummed. I hope the rest of the states take a long, sober look at Colorado before deciding to legalize marijuana. It's been a different blog. I started with littering and ended with pot. I'd love to hear your opinion. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment